Thursday, August 20, 2009

Pineapple Chilli Sauce

Do you know that pineapple can be used to make delicious dipping sauce? Or even delicious curry?

I have some left over pineapple in the fridge. I found Amy Beh's Fruity Chilli Sauce recipe in 4th Aug 2009 The Star paper that uses pineapple. That would be great as I am short of inspiration of what to cook with it.




Fruity Chilli Sauce Using Pineapple
I served this chilli sauce with fish paste tofu and it goes so well with it!


Ingredients:
=========
  • 150g fresh ripe pineapple, coarsely chopped
  • 75g young ginger
  • 150g red chillies
  • 5 bird's eye chillies
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 2 sour plums (suen mooi), seeds removed

Seasoning:

  • 1/2 - 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 2-3 tbsp sesame oil
  • 50ml freshly squeezed lemon juice


Method:
======

Put pineapple, ginger, chillies, both chillies, garlic and sour plums into a food processor. Process on pulse until the consistency required.

Adjust with seasoning to taste.

This tangy and fragrant sauce can be used with meat, fish or vegetable fritters.

---------------------------------

Another one of my favourite recipe is Salted Fish Pineapple Curry. My mom used to cook this often as it is my late grandmother's favourite dish.


Two weeks ago I cooked this curry without the salted fish for a vegetarian dana. Many of my friends commended that it was delicious and very appetising. I shared the recipe with them and one of them cooked it for her aunt. She said it's a simple recipe to cook yet delicious. Do try it out.
Unfortunately, I forgot to taka a photo of the curry.


Salted Fish Pineapple Curry
=============================
  • 300g salted fish, soak in water for 1 hour
  • 500ml santan
  • salt and sugar
  • 1 pineapple, sliced into pieces
  • water

    Blend together:
  • 1 inch galangal (lengkuas)
  • 8 shallots (bawang merah)
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • 1 fresh turmeric (kunyit)
  • 10 red chillies
  • 2 cili padi
  • 3 stalks lemon grass (serai)
  • Prawn paste or Belacan (optional) - I didn't put it in the other day as it was for a vegetarian dana

Method:
======

1. Heat oil. Fry spices till fragrant. Add water. Bring to boil.
2. Add pineapple. Continue frying till pineapple softens.
3. Switch to low heat and add in santan, sugar and salt. Cook until boil then serve.



2 comments:

islandgal246 said...

looks scrumptious I will definitely try it out.

Stephanie said...

Hello JC, looks like somebody just cooked something delicious to share ;-) The recipe sounds good. I would give salted fish pineapple a try one day. TQ! I have never eaten this dish before.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Custom Search