Sunday, July 25, 2010

Tips from United Malaysian Orchid

My friend, Chooi, brought me to visit United Malaysian Orchid nursery in Rawang recently. For those who grows orchids, you may be familiar with this nursery. United Malaysian Orchid nursery was once located at the junction of Jalan Glenmarie & Jalan Subang. A few years ago it moved to its new location in Rawang.


As this nursery was close to where I live, i.e. UEP Subang Jaya, I used to hang out at the nursery on weekends where I pick up a few tips from one of its workers, Ah Meng, and watching them worked with their orchids. He is very popular with orchid growers as he patiently teach us how to upkeep our orchids. He also recommended his special powder fertilizer for orchids. This fertilizer is diluted in water and when sprayed daily on your orchids, you will be assured to get multiple blooms regularly. That's how I used to take care of my orchids in the past.


I have not seen Ah Meng for several years after the nursery moved. Glad to be re-acquainted with him again. In fact, I brought Chooi to its old site in Glenmarie several years ago, and found out that the nursery has moved. I only learnt that United Malaysian Orchid nursery has moved to Rawang when I stumbled upon their booth at last year's Floria Fest in Putrajaya.

From my trip to this nursery, I have found some interesting gardening tools and tips to share here. The first one would be this home-made multiple pots holder.

It is made by stucking a tree trunk into a pot and filled the pot with cement in order to support the trunk. Then nailed several pots onto the tree trunk. Voila! You have a beautiful multiple pot holder! How innovative!

See how beautiful the pot holder looks when pots of orchids are placed on it. To ensure you have a lot of mobility & flexibility with this multiple pot holder, do not grow your plant directly into those pots that are nailed into the tree trunk. Instead grow your pots in a separate pot and place the pot onto pots in the holder (refer to photo below). As such, you have the flexibility to change and rotate the plants placed on this holder.



The above home-made multiple pots holder is very cost-efficient to make. I have seen a multi-tiered pot for sale during the Putrajaya Floria Fest 2010. It is made of plastic and have 3 tiers.


The price for the 2 varieties of multi-tiered pots can be quite damaging to our pockets.
So, if you are thinking of saving some money, why not take out your DIY tools and make the innovative multiple pot holders from United Malaysian Orchids.



Another interesting thing that I saw at this nursery is the usage of hair grip/clip to hold an orchid stalk to a stake. Of course we can always use a wire to do this, however with a hair grip (as seen in the photo below), one can easily re-adjust or remove it.

Ah Meng also showed us a new product that his nursery is selling. It is a dual nozzle spray that can be used on the mouth of a 1-liter plastic drink bottle. This is another way of recycling the mineral water or soft drinks plastic bottle.

Ah Meng demonstrated to us how this dual nozzle spray worked. The dual nozzle produces mist in a wider radius that enable the water to cover more plants with each spray. He claimed that this spray is more durable and lasting. It is very suitable for spraying liquid fertilizer that orchid growers commonly used.





Both Chooi and I had a good time at the nursery. We learnt a few new things and glad to meet up with Ah Meng again.

In case any of you are keen to check out this nursery, the contact details and map to United Malaysian Orchid are enclosed below. Frankly, I have doubts about driving there myself as I cannot recall the route we took. Anyway, what's life without some adventure? Try to hunt for this nursery if you can. Your journey will be a worthwhile one!


17 comments:

Bangchik and Kakdah said...

Would you believe it, I bought that spray from Bangi Agric Exhibition a while, held in conjunction with the national landscape day. Even the colour is the same, blue handle!.. I use it for liquid fertiliser spray and very effective...
~bangchik

James David said...

Thanks for the very informative tips. I often have problems using my sprayer - always gets stuck and doesn't spray properly.

You mentioned he sprays daily using the fertiliser - really?
Doesn't the orchid get burnt??

Malar said...

The nursery guy is really creative! I like the pot holder!

Stephanie said...

That's an awesome orchid farm! I love the orchids there. Nothing is like being there to see the big farm filled with orchids.

Those pots mounted on the tree trunk is a clever idea!

I just put those normal nozzle into recycled mineral water bottle for spraying.

Blur Ting said...

That pot hanging on the trunk is such an innovative idea. I should try that sometime. Thanks!

lotusleaf said...

Thanks for the innovative tips. And thank you for visiting my blog.

J.C. said...

Yes, Ting, I find the idea a good one and worth trying out. I have tried placing a cut tree trunk into a pot filled with cement. However the trunk was not treated and thus termites infested it. If possible, try to get strong wood trunk, like cengal and merbau, that it's hard for termites to attack.

Autumn Belle said...

I like this nursery and I plan to visit one day. The ideas are simple and great, McGuyver style! The hair clip method really get my attention. Thanks for sharing these innovative ideas.

kitchen flavours said...

Beautiful orchids. Will inform my sis regarding this nursery, she loves orchids! Thanks for sharing this great info.

Unknown said...

Hi, do you have vanilla plant for sale ?

Unknown said...

I would also like to get vanilla plants, where can I buy
Thanks

Unknown said...

I’m impressed with the special and informative contents that you just offer in such short timing.Tree Center

most-beautiful-in-town said...

Now You Can Buy Live Potted Orchid Plant Online With Affordable Prices.
www.most-beautiful-in-town.com

Unknown said...

hello..
Nice orchid Pots..i love to care orchids and also i have a orchids garden where i use variety of Orchid Pots , its really looking good.
you can also take look in this orchid pots.

You may like and also may it help you to decorate your garden !!

chin-cherng lan, TAIWAN said...

2018/ 7/ 15, WITH 1 PHYTO-SANITARY CERTIFICATE, BE ISSUED BY "QUARANTINE AUTHORITY, MALAYSIA GOVERNMENT", FOR SOWING IN TAIWAN.
IS THERE ANY MALAYSIA PEOPLE WHO CAN SELL TO MR. CHIN-CHERNG LAN,
FROM "TAIWAN" FOR 3 KILOGRAM EACH, MOISTURED SEEDS OF PULASAN & DURIAN- MUSANG KING VARIETY. BE SENT TO MY ADDRESS IN TAIWAN BY "EMS" FROM POST OFFICE IN MALAYSIA,
REGARDS CHIN-CHERNG LAN, E MAIL: sungodtw@gmail.com fax: 886-2-26478096,

Fashion Blog Outfit said...

Very Informative post. Orchids are so beautiful but not very easy to handle. They require a lot of care and attention.
Large Orchid Pots are very helpful and useful in growing orchids!

Photography said...

i want to Decorate my small garden with beautiful orchid so which Orchid pot are best for the growing orchid and for decoration too i have some list of the pots please give me your valuable suggestions:
Large Orchid Pot
Ceramic Orchid Pot With Holes
Terracotta Orchid Pots
Plastic Orchid Pots

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Custom Search