Wednesday, September 16, 2009

1st Harvest of Choy Sum

My first harvest of choy sum took place today! After months of trying to grow Hong Kong Choy Sum (which is of a miniature species in comparison to the usual Choy Sum), I finally get to harvest them.

Although the harvest is very minimal, only 3 bunches of choy sum, but it gives me a great sense of achievement! Ha ha..I know 3 bunches are not even enough to feed one person! But that's a good start! I have sown some more seeds and hope during the current sunny weather with intermittent rain, my seed will germinate fast!






I also found some white trails on some of my choy sum leaves. Seems like many of my smaller seedlings are also affected. I doubt those plants with white trails are edible. Sigh! That would be a waste. Is it a snail trail? Or what is it? Can anyone help me with this question? I gotta stop it quick if the trails are caused by some snails or bugs.



8 comments:

islandgal246 said...

JC you have leaf miner damage. They live in the tissue of the leaf and is very difficult to treat unless you go the route of chemical systemic sprays. The best thing to do is to pick off the leaf/leaves that are damaged and burn them and hope that you have caught them. Here is a link that might help you.

http://gardening.about.com/od/insectpestid/qt/Leafminer.htm

Bangchik and Kakdah said...

I have been seing those in my veggies too, But yours are very pronounced. Islandgal had pointed out the root cause!

Stephanie said...

What good analyses here :-) JC, these mini choy sum are very tasty. I like to eat this choy sum in instant noodle. Add an egg... yummy!

FJL said...

I have this type of white trail on my brinjal's leaf. Hubby picked the infected leaves and threw it distance away from the main plant resulting of less leaves but it helps rather than damaging the whole plants.

Muhammad khabbab said...

nice and fresh colors. i was amazed at the quality of pictures. some of my plants do get infected by leaf miners but i do nothing except remove those leaves and things go fine.

J.C. said...

Thank you, islangirl246. Wow, you are really knowledgeable. It's the first time I heard of Leaf Miner Damage. I read about it on the link you gave. Thanks a lot.

World said...

Your Choy Sum isn't ready to be harvested yet. It should be harvested just before it flowers.

Unknown said...

Best treatment is neem oil, no immediate effect but after three to four treat menus the leave minor dies away

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Custom Search